Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Doozie

I have NO idea what hit me, but my fall/winter/spring of avoiding any major germ catastrophies came to a screeching halt at the beginning of our summer. Seriously, all year I had MAYBE two 3 day sore throats, and a partially stuffy nose. Until.... the virus of 2009. It would be much more exciting to say I had gotten the swine flu. If that is what it had been, I'd understand that hype given it, because I certainly felt like I could have died. I was MISERABLE.  

It all started Friday when I woke up with a sore throat. This had been happening off and on for a couple weeks, and I was fairly certain that it was allergy related, and after a benadryl it wasn't bothering me, so I was convinced it was allergies. I went off for tutoring and babysitting. My migraines are supersensitive to heat, dehydration, and blood sugar. This day, as well as the last few days had been particularly warm, and I wasn't very diligent about drinking enough water. I should know better. So, I got a major headache as well as nauseated in the middle of tuturing I pushed through that, and since I babysit in exchange for tutoring, the parents left with the assurance I'd call if things got worse. It's hard to get hydrated when your nauseus. I sipped some watered down apple juice, rested while the kids watched a movie, and my headache did go away. So, it was the heat, right? Oh that it were!

I went to bed that night feeling pretty good about myself, and woke up at 4 am vomiting really hard. I had no idea what hit me. That only lasted a couple hours so, I showered and went back to bed. When I woke up, I had a whole gamut of symptoms: nausea, dizziness, fever, massive headache, body aches and pains, with killer pains in my neck, low back and hips, chills, and sweats. I couldn't get out of bed, I was so miserable. By sunday my chest hurt around my rib cage, with sharp pains when I breathed deep, and I had a cough. My fever kicked into full gear, and I was good for nothing. I was throwing up again as well. That evening I started wheezing. Advil and Tylenol were my best friends. I was so miserable, my Mom was at work and my Dad incapable of caring for ME, that I called my best friends mom asking if she could just bring me some applesauce and be available if I felt I should go into urgent care if my breathing got worse. I was so grateful for her when she brought me applesauce and much more, checked my temp. etc. and made sure my Dad had anything he needed. Up until this point my fever had been slight and off and on but now it raged at 102 to 103 steady for several hrs, finally breaking about 4 am monday morning. 

So, I wake up monday morning fever free, body ache free, not nauseated, but with pretty bad chest pain, and shortness of breath whenever I stand up and walk around, plus a pretty persistent caught, and fever blisters all over my lips. Today, the wheezing is mainly when I walk up and down stair, the pain in my chest is only when I take a deep breath, and the cough when I walk up a down stairs or lay down but the fever blisters are even on my nose. I currently have a headache but, I think that is because I am in need of a nap. 

I have never been so sick or felt so miserable. I did go to the Dr. monday, and to both hers and my astonishment, tested negative for the flu, so its "just a virus". I have no idea where that virus came from but it hit me hard and fast. My boss pulled me out of work for the rest of the week, that's a story in it's self, he is a little irritated with me. Oiy.

Here is to hoping for a full recovery in the next day or so! And that no one else I was around gets it!!!


2 comments:

Kortney said...

Uck!! That sounds terrible! I can't even remember the last time I was like that... I hope you feel better, V! This sounds like such a miserable state to be in...

Emily said...

Aww... hope you are feeling better!