Wednesday, April 30, 2008

An update and a scare.

My friend across the sea, Kortney, asked me to update on Alex's leg. I can't post pics. because my computer is down and I am using a different one.

He is doing quite well. The third surgery was a success and his bone is looking stronger. He has a "bone scab" a bony substance the builds around the break. It will take about a year for the bone to line up and be straight (they don't set femur bones, that is why they use pins). Since they ended up hammering the pins far into his bones and screwing them in place, they will not remove them unless their are complications later on, removing them now is risking shattering the bone. The bone is sturdy enough that he is able to bear weight so, we have been putting him in his walker again (with ample checking and rechecking that he is in their properly and straps are tight, plus watching him like a hawk to prevent another accident).

IT is amazing how fast children grow and heal. Kids with brain damage tend to hit puberty early. At 10 Alex has all the signs, stinky armpits, peach fuzz, and yes, even some attitude. He has grown a rediculous amount the last year or so. Before his leg break, he seemed to be sort of outgrowing his walker but, he could still get some use out of it. Now he just looks rediculous in it, is legs are WAY To long. Yet, he did get some good walkign action in it. I got a video and once I have my computer, maybe I can post one. We are surprised how strong his legs are after so much time sitting, and a broken bone.

The wound from the pins coming out is healing slowly but, appropriately. It is deep and gross but looking better every day. It is suppose to heal from the bottom up and that is exactly what it is doing, it also getting smaller in diameter. Alex is anxious to be able to take baths and go swimming again.

Caleb seems to be battling one thing after another. We have been trying to keep him away form all his allergic foods. Recently we discovered he is allergic to aquaphor. His skin was just starting to clear up (he has eczema agittated by the allergies). The Dr. Recommended aquarphor and his skin became worse than EVER! He was covered in eczema. So now we rub him down with hydrocoritsone skin and it is looking really good again. He also has to stay away from Garbanzo beans (which makes up some really great wheat free flours, and is the main ingredient in his favorite food, Hummus), it is closely related to soy and legumes, which he has allegries too. We also noticed increased itchiness after he eats things with carob bean and other bean products in them, which are usually used in low fat foods (like l.f. sour cream) and most any cream cheese. We have been able to find great allergy free products at Fred Meyer, PCC market, and whole foods. OUr new favorite is an egg, wheat, dairy, soy free pretzel at fred meyer by Ener G (they make the egg replacer).

Caleb was finally doing really well, not so itchy, good looking skin, and now runny nose or cough. Yesterday he woke up with a mark by his eye, I figured he scratched himself. Today he had a runny nose when he woke up. He took an extra long nap (3hrs.) The last hour I was upstairs close to his room and actually started to worry he slept so long. I checked on him a couple times but, he was ok. Finally I heard a soft whimper. He usually gets out of bed, bangs on the door as hard as he can with a flat hand, and cries super loud. I went to get him, and hear this DREADFULLY HORRID cough. It sounded like a seal barking. He couldn't stop coughing, and I was worried he wasn't getting enough air. I hadn't heard him cough AT ALL during his nap! I took him downstair immediatly and turned on the shower, steaming hot, to get it all steamy. I also called his mom. She was with the other boys at a dr. appt. for Alex so she didn't answer. I was so scared I actually called 911. He wasn't blue or anything but, I had no way of knowing if he would start, or if he had swallowed something he found on the floor and if it would get lodged or anything. You just never know with little guys and air is so precious. By the time the paramedics got their he was breathing easier. The steam really helped. Ken and Trish were boht on their way home. Caleb was really clingy but mostly coughing when he cried, although when he took a deep breath it sounded croupe like. He was ok, and Mom took him to the Dr. I haven't heard what she said yet. I can't even imagine watching my own child get sick like that. I hate watching kids I love suffer.

Alex had a big seizure last night too. He has been having a few more lately so, we are trying to figure that out. He was doing really well after the last medicine increase.

3 comments:

Milk Mama said...

I'm sad to hear that Alex has seizures. :( That's amazing that he's only ten because you're right, he has peach fuzz! :) Thanks for commenting on my blog. That's awesome you have a blog, too! Is it ok if I ask what your daughter's name is? You don't have to tell me if you don't want to share yet. God is awesome. I never doubt his power to reveal the future. About six months before we conceived Anna God started telling me that I would be pregnant with her in the Springtime. I knew it and I waited and I knew it was coming! It was very exciting. I felt that she was a girl from the very beginning. I did very little looking at blue clothes and boys names. I felt she would be a girl! :)

Milk Mama said...

That would be great if you could join the ranks for the favorite foto friday! You go to Kiss the Frog 4 Me (it's linked on my post and on my sidebar linky list) and basically just tell her that you are playing. I just basically found out that she (Sarah) has themes for the weeks. Next Friday's theme is pictures of mothers and children (so maybe a picture of you and your mom or the children you babysit with their mom, etc.) in celebration of mother's day.
Lydia Christine is so beautiful! Oh I love the name Lydia! I think that the nickname Lydie is adorable. :D I knew a little girl once named Lydia she was so adorable! Not as cute as your Lydia will be, though! I'm certain!
God will bless you with motherhood in his own and perfect timing! He always does! :)

Sarah said...

Violet... thanks for sharing your story with me... listen to your heart... I think it is God's way of communicating with you! Looking forward to your first FFF!