Saturday, July 26, 2008

My running partner

Today was day 3 of running. They say 3rd times a charm. I was sore after the first day, my thighs and 3 strands of muscles that essentially run from the base of your skull to your but (spinalis, longissimas, and oh crud, I can' remember the name 3rd but, it attaches to your ribs and I can see it in my head). I made the mistake of not stretching on day 1. So, day 2 I went last night. I'd babysatt for about 8.5 hrs. for a 3 years old who doesn't nap and a 1 year old who screams a lot. I needed to run. So, I did. It wasn't any better or worse than day 1. The last 30 second jog session is the hardest but, it's nice to know you get 5 1/2 minutes of walking to end it. Then, I stretch for about 10 minutes or so. 

So, so many times I told myself that if I had a running partner I'd be more apt to go. I often said this because in H.S. my good friend and I walked A LOT together and when I went to N.U. I ran often with other girls. Seems to make the time and distance go by quicker. But, things have gotten out of control with my body, and my friends are getting married, having babies, and running of to places like Tokyo so, that isn't going to work.

Today I got a bright idea, I decided it wouldn't be too much work to check my stop watch for the intervals AND pray at the same time. I need to spend more time speaking and listening to God. As soon as I started I heard him whisper, "this was my plan all along, I wanted to be your running partner". Ouch. All this time he was their saying, I will be with you, focus on me. 

Yesterday I wasn't sure how I was going to fit a run in as I am working 7am-7pm for the Boy's then I'm going to babysit for Ruby and Davis from 7:30pm till about 3am. (mom is out of town, dad has a d.j. gig). Plus, mounds of homework. Well, the thing is, my God works ALL things together for Good (his good that is). Poor Alex had a massive seizure this morning (4 dyastat and a call to 911 before it finally stopped). While that is not cool, and I don't think God gave him a seizure so that I could run, he worked it out so that, since Alex would be sleeping all morning, I wouldn't be needed to get Alex out of bed.  Trish told me to go for a run if I wanted to. It worked out so nicely, and I spent time with GOd. I know that was in his plan for today, me to run and pray to him. 

I am utterly amazed out how different things can be when you have a different perspective and attitude, and you do things to glorify God. Before I have said I was going to eat better, exercise more, etc. to honor God with my body but, It was a crock. I really wanted to look good and impress people. Now, I truly want to honor God with my life, with what I put into my body and how I treat it. And he is really helping me to stay motivated for this running plan. Of course I still have sore muscles, and their is a chance of triggering a migraine but, I have faith God will protect me from that. So far I've experienced less discomfort from running that usual. I'm not getting splitting side aches, or chest pain from breathing. Yesterday the outside of my feet hurt really bad as I was running and I prayed about that today, guess what, no foot pain.

What I love about this plan is it's so concrete. I know EXACTLY what I am going to to and for how long. I love my little stop watch that tells me I have to run for 5 more seconds. I love that I'm not OVER doing it. I love that I get to walk for 10 minutes first, and 5 minutes last. I love that I'm not spending 5 minutes recovering because I ran to far for what my body is adjusted too. 30 seconds run, 30 seconds walk. It's great. 

God really spoke to my heart about some things today, and I took time to pray for many people. It really felt good to live up to my word to various friends/ blogger buddies/ and family member to pray for them, their little ones, etc. to pray for them. It also felt good to just worship God, to give him all the praise, and the Glory, which only he deserves. 

I'm excited to run again tomorrow, with the best running partner a girl (or guy) could have. 

Here is a picture of my other running partner :0 ) . She went with me on day 2 and 3. Other than being very thirsty (and hungry) when we're done, she seems to tolerate it really well. I think the 3o/30 plan works well for her too! Good thing because she has a few pds. to lose as well, according to the veterinarian. 

1 comment:

joanna said...

I love the photo of your other running partner. She really could do some modeling (don't tell her I said so or it might go to her head -lol). Sounds like you have a great thing running and praying, I love the ipod for worship music, too! Some of my best prayer times/worship times were out running/walking. I am really excited for you. Sounds like you've had a busy couple of days. Your babysitting jobs are all lots of work! When you get a chance give me a call, I want to write down the days I will have Kalika on my calendar.
Thanks!
Joanna