Saturday, March 28, 2009

How much longer, Oh lord?

It had been almost a week since I went to visit with my Dad, and for the brief moments I was their today, it cannot be called a visit. I told my Dad I'd be their in an hour, and I was but, poor worn out guy he is, he fell asleep, sitting up, cup in hand... he was in a hard sleep when I got there. So, I left a few things for him, and left. 

The truth is, I did not want to be there. I hate places like that, nursing homes, hospitals, etc. Places that to me often smell of death. When he was home, I didn't compare his appearance to his roommates, or to that of the patients across the hall. When he was home, it wasn't so obvious that actually fits in with these elderly people who are in their 70's and 80's, even though he is only 53. At home no one told me how nice it was his grand daughter came to see him, especially since I am his daughter and his only grandchild isn't yet 2 years old. Yet, when he was home, I could not manage his pain, keep him hydrated, or even get enough calories in him to maintain his already horrifically low weight. 

Visiting him often gives me a headache. I get nauseated, and always exit the room, keeping my head down so that no one sees the pooling tears, holding them back just until I hit the cool outside air, where, inevitably the rain drops will hit my cheeks about the same time the tears spill over, mingling cold with hot... it's at times like this I don't mind the nearly constant drizzle our state holds for many months...times when the dreariness makes sense. It shouldn't be like this when I visit my Dad.  I hope he does not think my lack of visiting means I love him less... I keep trying to muster the strength to spent more than an hour with him. 

Today was especially hard as I already had a headache, and was exhausted from a late night. Even though he was sleeping when I arrived, his position made him look like a stroke victim, his mouth handing open, he did not have his partials in, so his mouth sunk around his gums where he does not have teeth, one eye was half open, he head lolled to the side, and he snored. I was glad he was sleeping so deeply as sleep does not come easy or often for him now but, seeing how he had fallen asleep with a cup on his hand and papers sprawled on his lap, I knew he fell asleep mid thought, preparing for my arrival so we could sort mail and pay bills. Sometimes I think I would be easier to handle these visits if I KNEW what the cancer was doing, if I knew if the treatment worked or not. The waiting for him to recover enough for reevaluation only makes it hard because right now... as far as I know... my Dad still has cancer, and it seems like he is their to die. I know it's not true, he is in fact there to allow him to recover, and more speedily but sometimes the heart does not consort with the mind enough to leave a person settled. 

Now, I don't have the strength to go home, where I'd once again be alone, in a house that has always been so full. I also don't have the energy to go to a friends house, even if the laughter would be good medicine. So, I sit at a starbucks, smelling the roasted coffee but not drinking because I'm still nauseated from my 5 minutes stay at Dads facility. I also have a headache... 

I can barely recall the fun I had last night, at a party with people I love. Oh, it was fun, and good for my spirit, I know...but sometimes reality comes back so fast, so starkly, and you realize that your life is so drastically different from others. 

Lord, be near... today is hard. I need you.

4 comments:

Shan said...

Violet, there are no words. I'm so sorry. I don't understand, but I do know...

When we watch people we love suffer and are helpless, our only way of helping being prayer you feel as though you are alone, useless, and it is a low place. Please know you're not alone, as you leave the room with tears in your eyes Jesus walks with you. When you get ready to see your Dad, Jesus walks with you, and while you sit with him, Jesus sit's with you.

There was a time in my life when I didn't understand that. After the last few years of my life, I know that He does.

Hang in there V, we're praying for you and your family here.

Kortney said...

Gosh, hon, it sounds like things are so hard at the moment. I wish I could help... I can tell you that you're in my thouhts and prayers always... Hang in there.

There's a song by Superchick that really encouraged me the last time I went through something hard. It's called Stand in the Rain. The words are:

She never slows down.
She doesn't know why but she knows that when she's all alone, feels like its all coming down
She won't turn around
The shadows are long and she fears if she cries that first tear, the tears will not stop raining down

[CHORUS]
So stand in the rain
Stand your ground
Stand up when it's all crashing down
You stand through the pain
You won't drown
And one day, whats lost can be found
You stand in the rain

She won't make a sound
Alone in this fight with herself and the fears whispering if she stands she'll fall down
She wants to be found
The only way out is through everything she's running from wants to give up and lie down.

[CHORUS]
So stand in the rain
Stand your ground
Stand up when it's all crashing down
You stand through the pain
You won't drown
And one day, whats lost can be found
You stand in the rain

Here's the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2naYghOqM0s

Love you.

Corby and Lauren said...

Hey Violet,

I'm so glad you commented on my blog- now I can read yours! Your most recent post about your dad's health just broke my heart. I assume you found my blog from my sister's.... but either way, I'm glad you did- I can now be praying for you!

I realize the illnesses are different, but my best friend is currently losing her mom to Alzheimer's. Her blog is on my list..."Never a Dull Moment", and I know that if you ever wanted to talk to a godly woman about this, Mare would love to talk to you!

Laurel said...

Hi Violet,

I haven't read your blog in awhile, and am so sorry to hear how difficult things have gotten.

I can't imagine how alone and lonely you must feel somtimes, even though you KNOW that God is with you.

We would LOVE to have you come up for a visit, if you ever just want to get away from home for a day.

Pop me an email (listed on my blog's sidebar), and I'll give you my phone # so that you can call me when you need someone to talk to.

Neither my family nor my husband's family are Believers. We do understand how difficult it is to watch our relatives live in anger and bitterness.

Hugs & Blessings,

Laurel
mama of 13