Sunday, December 27, 2009

A new kind of Christmas






Growing up we were spoiled for Christmas. My parents always went over the top, my grandparents spent equally as much, and well, it was kind of amazing. As we have gotten older, I've noticed the focus of Christmas slowly become about $$. Sad but, true. Not all in a bad way though. Mostly, as we children became adults and no longer thought "Santa" brought us our presents, we wanted to be able to give as much as receive and none of us had money to spend on one another.

I have been frustrated for several years because for me Christmas is such a special intimate day for me spiritually. It has always been my wish that we would read the Christmas story together, pray together, and do something to remember Christ on that day. For some reason, even though I do have an aunt, uncle and grandparent who are all Christians, we've never done this. I do this for myself, each year I take time to spend with God and thank him for becoming flesh...

This year, with my Dads cancer battle and resulting medical retirement, both my sister being laid off, my Uncle being out of work for 8 months and me having my hours drastically cut, well, I knew money was an issue. I had this idea that this year we would all buy only for "the babies", meaning my 2 year old nephew and one year old cousin. Thankfully everyone agreed. I like this idea because it gave us the opportunity to spoil them the way we were spoiled, and to bring a bit of the "magic" back into Christmas. We also could spend what we had on the babies, without worrying about buying for everyone, or forgetting someone.

It all turned out REALLY well. No one was left feeling bad or left out. No one felt like maybe they should have spent more, no one fretted. The babies were adorable, the parents were grateful. And, I got to focus even more astutely on Christ without being overwhelmed and distracted by the family drama!

I won't lie though, my Mom decided she wanted to give each of us some cash for Christmas, and she did. And my grandmother also gave each of us some $$ with some other small goodies. All of which I was very grateful for (it's mostly going towards school books!).

I also attended a low key Christmas Eve Svc. with my best friend Alicia and her family. We sang some of my favorite carols, read the Christmas story, and headed home, where the power was out! Alicia and I chatted about her new engagement and accumulating wedding plans...

It was a good Christmas.

No comments: