Tuesday, February 23, 2010

When God Answers the questiosn "Why?"

I think everyone has at one time or another asked "Why Lord". Why me, why now, why this, why NOT now, why not that?... and on and on.

I know I wonder why. I wonder why I couldn't have a sister with out disabilities (not that I'd trade the two sisters I do have), why my parents couldn't have a happy marriage, why I couldn't grow up in a Christian home, why the first boy I loved had to have a terminal illness and die at age 15, why I'm not more graceful...

Sometimes, while we don't understand all of the "why", God gives us a glimpse into ONE "why". When my Dad got sick, I often wondered "why" he got cancer.

Then, a couple of months ago an author of a blog I read wrote a post about her recent cancer diagnosis. I felt compelled to write her back with a little of the story of my Dad's cancer. It turns out this woman is battling the same cancer as my Dad, although in different locations, and sharing the story of how my Dad's cancer was found, prompted her to get further testing in a specific area to make sure the cancer wasn't also there.

Her story has just begun, and I don't know why she has cancer. But perhaps one reason "why" my Dad had cancer was so we could share is story, and in so doing encourage others and maybe even save another persons life....

1 comment:

Kortney said...

Wow. I hope everything works out for this woman with cancer. Why is a big question that never has a simple answer but I still ask it... a lot.