At age 80-ish Abraham had faith God would give him a Son. At 100, Abraham laughed at God for restating that promise... Sarah also laughed when she heard the same fate for herself.
Gen 18:19 For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just, so that the Lord will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him."
Sodom and Gomorah, not even 10 righteous people were to be found... What must it be like to meet Angels? What kind of awe you must be in to offer your virgin daughters over to brute men to spare them attacking Angels. Second recording of incest is Lots daughters... why was it so important to mention this? Sarah is Abraham's half sister. Was it worse for a daughter to be with her father than for a brother and sister to be together (ew either way, sometimes I am amazed and what I've forgotten is in just the earliest chapters of the bible!!!)
Abraham lies about his wife being his sister a 2nd time. Did he not learn from the first time? Hoe often do I do exactly what Abraham has done? God shows me he will protect, provide, etc. and when faced with the same situation a second time, I still fail to have faith in what God can and will do.
What must have been going through Isaacs mind as his father laid him on the alter?
Abraham's servant named a specific sing and asked God that it would be done so that he would know the woman God had chosen for Isaac
Rebekah's family recognized the servants story as being part of the Lords will, so they did not reject his offer...
Isaac immediately loved the Woman God had chosen for him and was comforted after his mothers death...
After Sarai died, Abraham took another wife, who bore him more sons...
food has been a struggle for man kind since the beginning of time...Esau felt so hungry he said he'd DIE if Jacob didn't feed him. He was willing to give his birthright away for food. How many times have I said I'm "Starving".... what have I been willing to sacrifice and compromise for food? for less than food? for friendship? acceptance? love? entertainment? All in haste for what I want in the moment?
Jacob makes the same "mistakes" as his Dad... he lies about Rebekah being his sister vs. his wife...
God will bless the children of those who are his servant, who are faithful to him, he blessed Isaac because Abraham was his servant.... "Fort he sake of my servant Abraham"
The wives of Esau "A source of Grief to Isaac and Rebekah"... may my parents NEVER feel that way about my spouse. My I never feel that way about my kids spouse, my my inlaws never feel that way about me...
Why shoould I be so surprised by the complete and utter disfunction of my family? Families have been disfunctional since the beginning.... Adam cast blame on Eve, Cain killed Abel, Ishmael was cast out from his half brother and his fathers house hold, Abraham and Isaac marry relatives and then claim their wives aren't their wives, Jacob tricks his father into blessing him over his brother....
Rebecca: If Jacob takes a wife among these hittite women, my life will not be worth living" Wow...dramatic much? Lol!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment