Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My nephew is so behind.


My Nephew is 11 months old today! I can hardly believe it!

He had a check up today. He is now 21 pounds and 28 inches long! He sure is growing fast. AT birth he was 6pd 11ounces and 19.5 inces long.

He saw one of my favorite physicians assistants. T. went to work in the ER over a year ago and we were sooo... sad. He is back at our clinic again, I guess he just missed us, and Zackery got to see him again. The Dr. my mom had been taking him to was really starting to get on our nerves. Zackery is so far behind physically and the Doctor has kept saying "we will see where he is in 3 more months". Then, Zackery kept getting ear infections etc. and the doctor kept post poning his well child check up since he'd seen him for those. The only problem was, he wasn't doing the exams when he checked his ears.... grrr.

I'd been beginning to think maybe my nephew was somewhat mentally delayed as well. I didn't say anything because he is such a bright eyed and alert little thing. However, I've been around so many 1 year olds, especially lately since 5 of my friends had 2 year old little boys. The last month or so he just seems less interactive than my friends kids at 1. Here are some websights with milestones of 10-11 month old babies... next to them I've marked if my nephew is doing it. You'll notice he isn't doing many. you can see why I worry about him. I feel like if he were placed with someone who knew about baby development and was worked with he would reach more milestones faster! My sister hardly ever played with him when she live here! She just has no clue about babies. I don't want him to be taken away, not really bu it's hard not to feel like I could do better. Please pray for him, and my sistter, and me! He is probably acting like a 6-8mth old right now.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/ActEarly/milestones_1year.html

by the end of a year

Social and Emotional

Shy or anxious with strangers ...... yes
Cries when mother or father leaves .... yes for his Mom or Grandma (my Mom)
Enjoys imitating people in his play ...no
Shows specific preferences for certain people and toys ....yes
Tests parental responses to his actions during feedings ....yes
Tests parental responses to his behavior ....no
May be fearful in some situations ....yes
Prefers mother and/or regular caregiver over all others .... yes
Repeats sounds or gestures for attention ... no
Finger-feeds himself ....yes
Extends arm or leg to help when being dressed ...no

7/11 doing pretty well here, which is an encourage ment. I worry about him emotionally.

Cognitive

Explores objects in many different ways (shaking, banging, throwing, dropping) ... yes
Finds hidden objects easily ... no
Looks at correct picture when the image is named ...no
Imitates gestures ...no
Begins to use objects correctly (drinking from cup, brushing hair, dialing phone, listening to receiver) ...no

1/5 now we can see why the Dr. thinks he is mentally delayed.

Language

Pays increasing attention to speech ... yes
Responds to simple verbal requests ...no
Responds to “no” ...no
Uses simple gestures, such as shaking head for “no” ...no
Babbles with inflection (changes in tone) ...yes
Says “dada” and “mama” ... dad but only as a sound...
Uses exclamations, such as “Oh-oh!” ...no
Tries to imitate words ...no

language is delayed.... 2/8

Movement

Reaches sitting position without assistance ....no
Crawls forward on belly .... army crawl
Assumes hands-and-knees position ...no
Creeps on hands and knees ...no
Gets from sitting to crawling or prone (lying on stomach) position ...no
Pulls self up to stand ...no
Walks holding on to furniture ...no
Stands momentarily without support ...no
May walk two or three steps without support ...no
Hand and Finger Skills.....yes
Uses pincer grasp ....no
Bangs two objects together ...yes
Puts objects into container...no but never show this
Takes objects out of container ...yes
Lets objects go voluntarily ... no
Pokes with index finger ... no
Tries to imitate scribbling

4/16

http://www.baptistonline.org/health/library/chil3054.asp

Most babies should be able to . . .
11 month old child

Say mama and dada to the right parents ... no, he says "dadadada...but just as a sound, not to his "dad"
Wave goodbye ...no
Clap hands ... I'm not sure but, I don't think so.
Understand the word no but doesn’t always obey it ... no
Stand alone momentarily ... no, he isn't even sitting up well on his own.
Play ball and patty cake ... no
Some babies will probably be able to . . .
Say one word other than mama or dada .... not intentionally. sometimes he babbles nanna
Drink from a cup independently ...no
Indicate what he or she wants with gestures other than crying ... no
Imitate others ... only sticking out his tongue and opening mouth
Put toys or object into a container .... I think he could if he wanted to but hasn't yet
Some babies could possibly be able to . . .
Stand alone well ... no
Babble that sounds like her or she is talking a foreign language ...yes
Say two or more words other than mama or dada ...no
Drink from a cup independently ...no
Understand simple instructions ...no
Walk well ...no

at best: 3 out of 20

http://www.yourbabytoday.com/

This is for 11 month old babies

Your baby now walks while holding onto furniture....no
He uses the "pincer grasp" to pick up tiny objects between his thumb and forefinger.... yes
Baby can stand alone. .... no
He drinks from a cup. ...no
Baby says "mama" and "dada." ... dada only as a babble word "da da da da da..."
He says a few other one-syllable words (like "hi"). .....no
Baby communicates his wants with gestures and words instead of cries. ...no
He talks in conversational gibberish. .... yes

2 out of 8 >

1 comment:

Michaelene said...

Hi! You don't know me, I found your blog through one of my friend's blogs - Shannon (Our girls -- Josie & Marie). I was reading through your blog and I found this entry about your nephew. I would love to petition you for your expertise and help! My daughter is 13 months old (you can read about my darling Sophia on my blog) and is doing a bit more than your nephew, but is physically not even doing as much! I know that you are so busy with Nannying and school and life, but if you have a chance I would love to chat, you can email me at michaelenem@comcast.net
And if you are too busy, I completely understand! But, I'm in New Mexico (I read that's one of the places you'd rather be...) and I know bribery works for my kiddos, maybe it'll work with you too :p
Update on his progress, as you can!