Thursday, December 4, 2008

God covers it all


My dad isn't the only one struggling with his health in my family. My grandmother, after losing grandpa in July, has been doing increasingly poorly since his death. She lost 50 pounds, was unable to eat because of digestive issues, sunk into a deep depression, and became just a shadow of the woman I once knew. 

When grandma developed a cystic pressure sore, that became infected and went almost to the bone, from sitting day after day in her rocking chair, she was admitted into the hospital. Then, she was transferred to a nursing home. Grandma is slowly but surely improving. She is having grief therapy, physical therapy, medical treatment, and 3 meals a day which she is managing well. She does not however know about my Dad. We are hoping to let her stablize a little more before telling her. Ok, so I think she needs to know but, my Dad just can't bear to tell her yet. She has been through so much this year already.

Anyway, My grandma just came to the decision that as she improves she does not want to return to her trailer home but, wants to be ins assisted living. This means, her little miniature poodle needs a new home. 

For the last 2 months my Dad and I have been caring for the pooch, feeding him, giving him water, cleaning up after him (he is trained to go potty on papers), and occasionally walking for him. I was doing really well, spending several hours over there somedays. And then things just got busier and harder. I had a few days where I mostly stayed in bad and cried....then I had days of work, and school work both current and late work to do, and no internet access at grandma's trailer. 

With my Dads diagnosis, him returning to work, holidays upon us, and finally poor skeeter (the poodle) getting diarreah and pooping all over grandma's couch... my Dad told me we HAD to re-home him. He is a sweet but very skittish and unsocialized dog. He has been more or less alone for 2 months, and I"m sure his little emotional and mental state isn't good. HE is lonely, scared and confused. If my Dad would allow it I would keep him here but with two dogs already that annoy my Dad to pieces, that just isn't going to happen. 

Last night I was worrying a lot about finding him a good home. My Dad thought I could EASILY get a new home for him because I know so many people. Well, not people that want a dog, or can have a dog. Plus, I was guilty...I wanted to take care of him. Of course I was also ridden with guilt for not taking better care of him that last month and felt sorry for him being alone.

Well, today I became what I never wanted to be, a craigslist dog rehomer. But, you know what, it turned out to be a blessing. GOd knew this was a stress factor for me. I was afraid I wouldn't find a suitable home, or no one would be interested.

Today I got 3 responses, 2 of which seem REALLY promising. One is a little far away but, meeting half way may be worth it. This woman is a single older woman, who owns her own home and works from home. She has no small children in her extended family, and she already has a toy poodle who wants a little friends. WHen she goes on vacation, she takes the dogs with her. She would have plenty of time to socialize, bond, and train him. SHe is older but not elderly. It was such a relief that God has taken care of this. Nothing is set in stone but, I know something will work out, and just getting those responses was such a relief. 

No comments: