Friday, December 18, 2009

Venting

My Dad joined face book. I guess that means I need to be a little more careful about what I say there. Not because I say things particularly BAD but, I know I've occasionally said things he might take the wrong way, assume are about him, or some such. Or, thing that I just really wouldn't want to share with my Dad. I know facebook is a very public venue, and so is a blog. I guess I didn't mind sharing some things on facebook because I have amazing friends who were always so encouraging. Plus, with my parents and siblings not being facebookers and bloggers, it was like my own personal little world, and escape so to speak. I still have my blog.

With that said, I was rather hurt by my Dads actions today. Monday I cleaned the entire house (ok, the main living areas, bathroom, kitchen living room). I did dishes, vacuumed, mopped, swept, DEEP cleaned the bathroom including cleaning the mirror/toilet/scouring the tub, picked up the living room, folded laundry... then I got really busy with school and work, and I HOPED that since I had done SO much house work by myself on Monday Dad or brother would help me out with dishes this week. Well, it's Friday, and the dishes hadn't been done since Monday. DISGUSTING. The sink was starting to smell. So, I did all the dishes, the dish washer was CRAMMED full of dishes, so I washed a bunch by hand. One thing I HATE to do when doing dishes is rinsing the silverware (in my house everything is scrubbed free of food before it goes in the dishwasher, my Dad believes the dishwasher is only meant to sanitize dishes, not really clean them), I asked my Dad if he would please wash the silverware before I started the dishwasher since I had washed so many dishes as well as cleaned up the rest of the kitchen. He didn't say a thing but, he did give me a nasty look. Instead, he closed the dish washer, and went to bed.

I just wish that my work was appreciated and that I could get a LITTLE help every once in a while....

2 comments:

Kortney said...

Bummer Violet. I would just tell your dad no, he can't be your friend because you need a little privacy. If he gets hurt about it, oh well. He'll probably forget sooner or later. It's just important to keep somethings private I think. Quite of few of my family and J's family read my blog and so often I wish they didn't. I would really like a place where I could voice my opinions without worrying about their's.... Anyhow, I say don't add him.

And don't give in to the dishes!!

Christy said...

My parents also recently joined facebook and I felt the same way. There is an option through Settings -> Privacy Settings to block certain people from viewing certain things. It sounds kind of harsh, but I blocked only my parents from seeing my profile information (I didn't want them to see the link to my blog, but I still wanted it there for other people), and for a while I also blocked them from seeing the things I posted (I was looking into a trip to Morocco and was saying things about it, but wasn't ready to talk to them about it yet). They don't know much about facebook, so it's a way for them to feel good that they're my friend, but still helps me to feel like I have some privacy from them. Once you block certain things, it's great because you have the option to view your page the way it will be seen by them, and you can also view it as seen by another friend. So, I was sure that they weren't seeing what I didn't want them to see, but could check that it wasn't that way for everyone. Something to consider ...