Saturday, January 2, 2010

Did God choose my Moon Sign?

One of my goals this year is to read the bible. Every day. Cover to Cover. Last year my Faith in God was strong. Going through a medical crisis with my Dad left me desperately needing to cling to Christ and the Hope we have in him. However, my efforts to deepen my relationship were lacking, especially when it comes to reading and meditating on his word.

I love love love to read, and not a day goes by that I don't pick up a novel and read at least a few chapters. I read in some odd places. I read in bed, on the couch, while taking a walk, while I roller blade around my neighborhood, while I am in the shower. No joke. I love to read. So, my goal this year is the every day, BEFORE I pick up a novel, or even non fiction book, or school book, I first and foremost pick up my Bible. To help me with this, I have two bible I will be reading from daily. The first is a New International 365 day daily reading bible in Chronological order. In this I will start at the beginning and read straight through the entire bible by the end of the year. However, last year I attempted this, got half way through Numbers, and didn't feel like I was getting what I needed from "The Word". I decide to just pick up my "plain ole bible" and read whatever, which quickly led to NOT reading. This year I will also be using the "ONE YEAR BIBLE" in New International Version. This bible has daily readings that all include a few chapters from the O.T. a few from the N.T., a Psalms and a Proverbs. What I plan on doing is using the Chronological book to read from the O.T. (well eventually also the N.T.), and using the One Year to read the daily assigned N.T., Psalms, and Proverbs scriptures. I think this will help me to tread through some of the harder parts of the O.T., having N.T. scripture to read as well.

I'm unsure of how much I will be documenting HERE on this blog. Perhaps all, and perhaps not. We shall see. There was some from yesterdays reading that I did want to share.

A conversation I had years ago with my Cousins wife has stood out in my mind from time to time. It's one that I honestly don't remember all of the details too but I DO know God was directing my words in the conversation. My cousins wife (S.) is into astronomy and astrology. When I visited her for the first time (I was about 15 and also had a strong Christian faith at the time) she started asking me about myself, then asked my birthday. I told her and she said "ahh... that explains it, your a Cancer, a water sign" and she began telling me characteristics of a "Cancer" or a "Water Sign" it sort of freaked me out, yet I was astounded at how accurate her description were. Her and I didn't get along great then and didn't communicate for some time. Then, when I was about 20 or so, I decided it was really important to me to get to know all of my family better, including my cousins out of state. I began talking to them, visiting them etc. S. is really into researching geneology, something I'm fascinated by. So I began talking to her and gathering any info. I could about our family. One evening we got into a conversation about her astrology and astronomy beliefs. She started telling me that everyone has a sign on based on their birthday but you also have a "Moon Sign" based on where the moon was and the alignment of planets etc. on your exact birthday. She looked up my Moon sign and started telling me "I bet you like this" or "I'm guessing you dont' like this" or "Are you this way"... Things I had often thought about myself but never really shared with one, she was telling me. Things that people who had known me my whole life never really notice about me, like my decorating style (if I had a choice on how to decorate a place) or how I like to sleep, or how I interact with people. My goofy cousin starting teasing us, saying I probably thought S. was a witch and was going to burn in Hell. Not so much. I was nervous about all she was telling me but also kind of fascinated. Because it was all so accurate. She didn't believe in online or newspaper horoscopes, she believed that our time of birth helped shape and create who we are. As she was talking I was praying "God protect my heart and mind from evil and things against you, Show my how to express my beliefs in a Non judgemental way, help me relate to her and Love her as you do, help me see her the way you do, guide my conversations with her" and he did. I suddenly heard God say "You were created for Such a time as this" Just like Esther was told as she went to become the Queen to save her people. At that point I decided to be honest with S. I told her that everything she was saying was very interesting and very true, that is resonated with who I know myself to be. I had her put my on speaker phone so my cousin could here too. I told them both I did not think they were evil based on their beliefs and that while I knew what I believed and I knew it to be TRUTH, I was open to HEARING and UNDERSTANDING what other people believe. Then I went on to tell them that if I believed my God was master and creator of the Universe, and he created the stars, moon, sun, and so on, then he certainly had a plan and design for them on the day of my birth. If he created every moment of my life, knit me together in my mothers womb, it's highly possible that he made a design for all things. I KNOW he chose my family for me, he chose my location of birth, the year and culture I'd be born into, he knew who my sibling and cousins etc. would be, so of course he knew how the stars and moon and sun and planets would be aligned on the day of my birth. And perhaps he had me born at a certain time on a certian day during a certain month and year to help create who I am. To me it was like poetry, like a painting all the elements work together to created a beautiful masterpiece yet each element was chosen and placed by the same creator, or artist. This was all well received by them and they gave me props for not being closed minded and for being open to what my cousinb believed. I gave thanks to God for helping me say what I believed, being honest, and guiding what could have been a disasterous conversation, and for opening a door to a relationship I was afraid would never take place.

Yet, I have sometimes wondered if what I said was true. Does it matter where the stars planets etc. were when I was born? Did God put though into it? I must have read Gen. 1 and 2 hundreds of times. This year one part stood out to me in a new way: And God said let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on earth" (Gen. 1:14-19). Of course I knew this... but it just gave me a validation. God created the stars, the moon, the sun, rotations of each, to mark time. If he created them in such a way the their interactions would mark time, then he marked the time that I'd be born. He knit me together in my Mothers womb, he created me for such a time and place as this, and he knew exactly what "moon sign" I would be born under. Ultimately, he created me and placed me where I am, just as he created the stars and sun and moon and placed them, and designed their rotations.

1 comment:

Kortney said...

V, you give a very beautiful explanation for a very confusing and mysterious social science. I love the way you put it. :) What it all boils down to is that God is above all things. Maybe he created pattens in people just like he did seasons and stars, maybe not. But even if he did, he's still above those.

A few days ago, J's family asked me if I believed in phsychics and astrology (they aren't Christians) and I told them that I believe it's possible but that most likely people are just subconsciously astute at reading body language and interpret that to be some supernatural insight. And maybe it is in a way--God gave them that ability, right? But God is still over it all. No human can determine the course of the future or the personality of another. The majority of it is coincidence and self flattery.

Anyway, I love your post. That's for talking about such an interesting topic! :)

And good luck with the NY resolution!