Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Broken Bones :(

Poor Alex has had a rough go of it! A week ago on Sunday he fell and broke his femur. HE had surgery to place pins and set the bone. He came home Wed. but, Friday we uncovered his bandages and found the pins sticking out his incisions. It was back to the hospital for yet another surgery. He got to come home Easter Day. Here are some pictures Alex said I could share. He says thank you for your prayers, and that he promises he was tough and brave because he knew God was protecting him! By the way, if you get quesy easily, I wouldn't look at the last photo. Scroll down slowly.

Kalika was worried about Alex. Since she just had a bath we let her snuggle with him today on our big oval red chair. Her and ALex both loved it!
This is the SWEET smile ALex gave me when I asked how he felt about being home again! NO words needed to get his point across I think.

This his poor leg. It has been causing alot of pain but, he sure is a trooper.



These are the pins placed in the bone after they set it. Even in the original copy of the x-ray you can BARELY see where the break actually is. They did an amazing job.



The break is quite obvious and severe here. You can see why he is in so much pain! Poor guy.





See what I mean. Gross right? The pins came through for a combination of reasons. One being that Alex doesn't have the body fat to support them at his knee like most people. The second surgery they put the pins in upside down and sewed them to the peri-osteum (its the outer most layer of bone, called the bone skin).



2 comments:

Kortney said...

Wow, that is a severe break. Poor guy! Hope you feel better Alex!!

joanna said...

We will be praying for Alex here. I hope all of you are able to stay rested and healthy despite all the stress. Poor guy! He looks like he is being quite a trooper about the whole thing. I love the photo of Alex with Kalika!