Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The REAL Fantastic Four (all together at last!)

When I was about 12 1/2 a young couple, their 3 month old son, and two Golden Retrievers moved into the little 2 bedroom rambler next door to my parents house. At this age I was really afraid of big dogs but, smitten over babies. As soon as I learned they had a baby, I started going over to visit. Then their dogs had a litter of 12 puppies! Well, my animal loving heart couldn't resist those pups! Since I had to be around their Mamma (Emma) to play with them, I decided she was ok. Before too long I got use to their Bouncy and Excitable male too (Noah). I would go and play with the baby and play with the pups, sometimes for hours. I would even walk the dogs from time to time. I liked to take them to a friend of mine's house. She LOVED Goldens and wanted one desperately.

After awhile Joanna would let me "watch" Joshua (the baby) while she did chores, and then while she made short trips to the grocery store, and finally, so her and her husband Kaleb could go out together.

Now, each of their kids are super special to me, and I enjoy remembering each of their stories, meaning how their birth affected my life. They are almost like Nephews and a Niece to me, their Mom is like a wise older sister,and their Dad is pretty great too. I value their families role and relationship in my life. Watching them has been great motivation for raising my family under Gods authority and leadership. What my parents were anable to teach me, they have taught simply by example.

Josh was the 2nd "official" babysitting job I had, and he was the first infant (under 3 years).
He was the cutest and smartest little thing and he weasled a HUGE spot for himself in my heart.

I don't have any pictures of him when he was tiny b/c I did not have a digital camera. Here is one of him a year ago. He is stubborn, a great reader, and really sweet. He will snuggle with me when we watch movies, and whenever I leave he has to give me a "Man" hug (squeeze me until my longs collapse!). He is also super creative and comes up with all kinds of fun games. Josh cares for people alot. He gets concerned when someone is overwhelmed or hurt (he prays for me when I have a headache or am sick or injured), he prays for the little boy their family sponsors in Africa, and he can't stand to see someones injuries. Josh is shaping up to be good in the kitchen too!


2 1/2 years later came a beautiful baby girl. When they found out they were expecting a baby girl Joanna told my Mom she was excited because girls were calmer and not quite so busy. My Mom said "That is not true, you just wait! She will be busier than Josh. Violet was my busiest." My brother was BUSY, and Josh was too. But, I was busy, smart/clever, and just plain loud and crazy. Mackenzie is much like I was, and today I think Joanna might say their was truth in my Moms words. Mackenzie is so sweet and compassionate though. She is always up for a snuggle, and ready to lend a helping hand to mommy, me, or one of the babies. She loves too cook. She is a peopel pleaser, always wanting to pick movies and books that Josh, or one of the babies would enjoy vs. something she would enjoy. She is more than happy to sit and watch Josh play video games (which he loves). It amazes me how incredibly perfect Gods timing is. Kenzie almost came too early. I don't know how her timing affected her family in Gods perfect way but, I know that her timing was meant for me too. The month she was born, my boyfriend died. At 15 one way I always felt God was near was when I held a brand new baby. I could feel and smell God. Kenzie came weeks after Andrews death, and days after I had emergency surgery on my appendix. She came home from the hospital the day after me. I was still laid up on the couch, and Joanna brought her over. She was so tiny she fit on my chest and didn't even come close to the incisions on my tummy. I'm not sure JOanna remembers this but, for a few minutes Kenzie fell asleep on my chest, and I fell asleep too. We just dozed together, and I breathed in the smell of God, the smell of his creation and promise for new life. Joanna sat and chatted with my Mom. For months my only solace from my pain and grief was to go to their house and cuddle baby Kenzie. At that time it was like God had sent me something from heaven since he had to call Andrew home to heaven. Here is Kenzie around 5 years old (almost two years ago)


Before too long I was off to college and I missed them terribly. I still saw them occasionally but, not as often as before. Right about the time I was planning to move out of state (that plan was thrown out the window), they welcomed another Baby boy. Levi was such a joy! Whenever I came over too visit, I had these amazing kids who loved me, and the cutest little peanut to hold. He has the biggest dimples, the cutest little voice, and says the most hilarious things! So many people decide they are "complete" after 1, 2 or 3 kids. I remember thinking "I hope they have more kids" and yet, after a few years I could see how they might be content with one boy and one girl. After all, they were great kids. Joanna says they decided to "let" God give them more kids. How blessed they are by each of their children. I can't imagine their family without any one of them. God knew they weren't complete yet. Who knows when any of us has a "complete" family. Watching them open to Gods plan, and seeing what God gave them taught me not to give numbers, or make so many plans for my life. God can only bless you if you allow him too. Make the choice to see what his plan may be. Below is a picture of all 3 of the kids exactly a week after Levi was born (he was born Superbowl sunday BTW, the day the Seahawks lost) and Levi with Kenzie 6 mths ago.





Finally, just 6 months ago, God gave them another handsome little Prince! Gabe is the most contented, happy, snugglie, sweet baby boy! He is so big an healthy. Whenever he sees me he greats me with a HUGE smile. I love just holding him and enjoying his health, his sweetness, his babyness. Sometimes snuggling my nephew is bitter sweet because of all the circumstances revolved around his excistance and environment. Holding Gabe is pure Joy! I know he is loved and well cared for emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually. When he was making his debut I got to watch the other kiddos (primarily Kenzie and Levi as Josh was only their a short while before going to a friends). Then, Gabe was the first munchkin I got to go see at the hospital. That was really special to me! Here is a picture of Gabe and me the day he was born and a picture of the four little one and myself over the weekend. I have been dying to get a photo of all of us together but, 4 kids, all busy, and two nappers makes it kind tricky. It finally happened. (This was really the inspiration for my blog!)





Joshua 9 yrs, Violet 21. 5 yrs, Mackenzi, almost 7yrs., Levi 2yrs, Gabriel 6 1/2mths.



2 comments:

joanna said...

Wow Violet, we are so blessed to have you! I hope your weekend is shaping up well and that you are enjoying some time off. I loved the photos and reading your memories of our family, you have such a good memory much better than mine! Dr. Ranheim's phone number is (425)334-1773 in case you didn't find it earlier.

Kaleb said...

That was nice Violet, and with all those great memories, I think my favorite part was that you numbered yourself at 21.5.