Today my Dad had his 3rd cancer consult. SO many consults! Today was with the radiology specialist and the oncologist. Tomorrow he has an appointment with the Chemotherapy oncologist/administration type person....
Today he was told this: Without treatment they would give him 2 years at the longest before cancer wins. Their is a 50% chance that treatment will work and send him into remission/give him longer. These statistics are remarkably good considering my Uncle was given 9 months and 10% chance of the treatment being effective.
On December 30th he will have a feeding tube placed. Because the cancer is in his throat, and radiation will be on his neck, he will have not only typical chemo nausea side effects but extreme soreness in his neck/throat, and will likely be unable to eat anything. They need to place the tube before beginning treatment. This means treatment will start sometime after the new year, we will get to spend Christmas with him feeling healthy, for this I am thankful. Radiation will be given Monday through Friday, and Chemo will be given once a week, each lasting 7 weeks. He is expected to be out of work for at least 6 months.
This is a hard time for our family. My Dad has been out of work for almost 2 years already, and the last 10 months hasn't had any sort of income (L & I was discontinued). I have complete faith God will provide but, my Dad is very worried, and worry is not in his best interest.
They waiting is the hardest.... We have to wait for the next appt., wait to see when treatment starts....wait to see how Dad's body reacts....and so on and so forth.
4 comments:
I hope your dad gets better soon.
You know we are praying here. I am praying for healing for your dad but also for reconciliation among your family members...
so here is where I sound like a mom...
Get enough sleep
Eat good food and exercise (for your own sake because it helps relieve stress)
Love ya!
I pray for healing for your dad! Cancer is so scary. We lost my mother to lung cancer two years ago and it still hurts so bad. We just found out today that a dear family friend has stage 4 lung cancer...still trying to come to terms with it. I pray that your dad will be with you for many years to come and that God will provide all that he needs.
Hugs from St. Louis!
Robin
Oh man. That sounds tough. I'm sorry to hear about your dad, Violet. I'll be praying for your family.
Post a Comment