Thursday, March 6, 2008

Vacations, illness, and new beginnings.





On top: Caleb. On bottom: Levi

Lots of things have been happening.

Feb. 12-20th I spent a week in Florida. I visited some family (Great Aunts and 2nd cousins).
My mom and I went to the lowry park zoo together where we fed giraffes, rode a camel, and pet sting rays! My cousin, mom, a friend and I spent 2 days in Orlando where we stayed in a REALLY nice hotel and visited Universal Studios as well as Disney Worlds Magic Kingdom. We also went to a Manitee refugee center and to the beach. It was alot of fun.

Upon returning I spent a week VERY sick. I had a sinus and ear infection as well as bronchitis. Ugh. I am all healthy now though.

On Feb. 28th I started an online Psychology program. It is going well and I feel like I am doing exactly what God wants me to do.

I have had a bunch of problems with my taxes this year. That has been stressful. Oh well, life goes on.

Finally, the littlest of the boys I nanny has tested positive for more than a few Allergies. This was no suprise to me as the other little boy I often mention here (Levi) has been diagnosed with many over the last couple years. Caleb presented with increasingly bad eczema (he would scatch his wrists/face/ankles to the point of bleeding). He also seems to get an uncharacteristicly numerous amount of croup like coughs and other respitory illnesses. Both of these are linked to Allergies. Caleb was diagnosed with a SEVERE egg white allergy, as well as: wheat, peanuts, potato, tomato, oranges, corn, and soy (I think I got them all).

If you think that is bad, you should see Levi's list! At about four months Levi was exposed to peanuts on his skin (I ate trail mix and picked him up while he was in just a diaper and he broke out in hives, this happened again with someone else a couple days later). That was the beginning of his saga. Since then he has struggled with vomiting, eczema, wheezing, and coughs. He has been a pretty sick little boy (although suprisingly active for what his little body was handling). Gods hand has definately been on this boys body and life. He has amazing parents who have sought out the best for him and God has been faithful to their efforts and brought them in the hands of an amazing Doctor and delivered much modern information. Levi is severely allergic/sensitive to: Peanuts, Eggs, Dairy, Soy, and Gluten. He also has moderate or mild food sensitivties (basically a delayed allergic reation) these are: Sunflower seeds, potato, garlic, pear, tomato, broccoli, watermelon orange, eggplant, asparagus. He has a temporary ban on: avacado, canteloupe, celery, coconut, cucumber, grapes, lemon, and olive. This kids is going to the kid that says "I'm allergic to broccoli" and mean it! Lucky for Mom and Dad, he is not allergic to spinach (I don't think).

These two boys are SO special in my life. Please lift them in your prayers. Pray for complete healing. Pray Levi does NOT have celiac disease, pray that their parents have wisdom for seeking treatment, pray for safety and protection when these kids are in the hands of others and in public situations where they may be exposed to their allergens, and pray that these kids learn understand their allergies at a young age.

Also, if you have any suspect you or a child you know has allergies, please do some research. If you know I child with eczema, presisting or re-occuring coughs, or any of the other symptoms, check it out. If you are curious about some information friends have gathered check out this book: Healing the New Childhood Epidemics :Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies by Kenneth Bock, MD. I plan on picking up a copy to read myself.
Love,
Violet

1 comment:

joanna said...

Violet,
I loved the song -- the lyrics are just perfect. I will admit it is a daily struggle for me to really enjoy this season! I love the kids but the chaos gets to me sometimes, as you know. Thank you for your request for prayers for Levi, we appreciate all of the support! We are thankful that he continues to seem healthy and happy on his new "diet."
Thanks again!
Love,
Joanna