Tuesday, June 3, 2008

thoughts for today

I am a HUGE advocate for breast feeding. When I see a baby, especially under six months, with a bottle shoved in it's mouth, I feel sad and disappointed. The research of benefits for breast feeding are astounding, and of course they are, this was Gods design for a woman's breasts in the first place. 

With that said, I think it sad hour our culture has SO sexualized breasts. It's annoying that larger girls have to make sure they wear turtle necks in order to be "modest", at least us Christian girls. 

However, that is our culture. And women NEED to acknowledge that. See, it was recently brought to my attention, by more than 1, that breast feeding pictures are offensive to some men. It's not the act of breast feeding, it's that they were trained and brought up to react sexually to the exposure of a womans breast. 

The Bible says we are not to cause our brothers to stumble. I know people who post pictures as their main frame of them or other women breast feeding.

This is my appeal to you to put those picture within your blog, or within a portrait file if you MUST Have them. Lets not cause our brothers to stumble. Lets not embarrass them. Lets help them to maintain a level of modesty and purity. This is especially a struggle for young men who have yet to experience the beauty of a mother breast feeding his own baby. They can't grasp the concept until they experience it (at least most young men). I recently had someone slightly offended because they looked at my profile and saw the picture of someone else breast feeding because they left me a comment. 

Ladies, their are many, many ways to advocate breast feeding, their are tickers, and information, their are even clip art of fully clothed woman with a baby at her chest which doesn't actually show cleavage. 
 
I for one plan to breast feed with a vengence. I advocate it, I think it's the right thing to do and the best thing for your baby. I still plan to cover up in the company of other men, and I plan on making sure any pictures taken or modest. If we frown on teenage girls letting half their boobs hang out, why is it ok for us to post pictures of us topless just because a baby is attached. We have to accept our culture and our fallen world. This is the way God intended us to feed our babies BUT, he also intended for us to not feel pain in labor, to not toil with the earth for our food, and to NOT know we were naked.......

sorry, just my rant. 

1 comment:

Kortney said...

I disagree. I say free the ta-tas! Men: YOU are responsible for YOUR actions. Don't blame women because you struggle. And to breast feeding mothers: keep it coming! As long as you breastfeed in a tasteful manner (which I've never seen breastfeeding done in any other way!), there is no need to feel shame. And to the one with the breastfeeding photo: I really appreciate tasteful nude photography; it can be so beautiful. A photo of breasfeeding doesn't even come close to half the crap we see on tv or in movies... If men were consistent in their complaints and would first trash their tv's, then I might give creedence to their claim that breasts really make them stumble--but I don't see that happening anytime soon.