That is about to change. This week we got details on his cancer. My Dad has squamous cell carcinoma. The source is a good sized tumor at the base of his tongue (way in the back of the throat), which is inoperable because of the location, it is near too many vital structures such as major arteries, the trachea, etc. It is considered stage 4 because it has spread (and was found) in his lymph nodes. This is considered a very serious and very aggressive (and somewhat rare) cancer. He is going to start 8 weeks of a daily reagimine of chemotherapy and radiation. To put this in perspective, 7 1/2 years ago my Uncle Died of this same exact cancer. He was in stage 3 and was given 9 months to live with 10% change of treatment being effective. He quit chemo after 5 weeks because he could not tolerate, it made him VERY sick and he wanted to spend his remaining time loving and enjoying his family. He got to where he was able to surf again, work again, and be healthy for a few months before he died 8 months after diagnosis when his tumor grew and collapsed his trachea. My Dad feels no symptoms at this moment however, he has suffered from severe back injury and been on pain meds for some time now. It may be that symptoms he linked to his back injury were actually cancer symptoms. He thought being on pain meds caused him to lose about 40 pds in the last 8 months however, the Doctors says this is more likely to be from the cancer. Please pray for healing, My dad would begin to eat healthy (and eat a LOT), that he would quit smoking (he plans on it but, admits he needs a Doctors help), that treatment would be affective, and that he would gain a relationship with Christ (I'm really unsure of where his heart is at this point, he is evasive when I try to talk about it).
I am so very thankful for family both immediate and extended. here is my immediate family when I was little. I'm thankful that God kept us together for so many years, even though most parents would have given up under the trials my parents had. I'm thankful that for now each of them have their health. I am so thankful that even with my Dads cancer diagnoses, he is in Gods grip, and I am thankful that he can use this for his good, perhaps even to draw my family back together/closer together!
I am thankful for scanners and that my grandma's doesn't rearrange. Because of those two things I have been able to scan over 300 pictures from the past, pictures dating back as far as my great, great grandmother and share them with out of state cousins who never had the chance to browse through this like I did. This one is of my grandma and grandpa when they first started dating...
I am thankful for the fabulous four, Josh, Levi, Gabe, and Kenzie, who all bring a smile to my face, make me feel loved, and remind me of the importance of being a Christ like example...because they are always watching.
I have so much to be grateful for. I am blessed beyond measure.
5 comments:
I am so sorry about your Dad. I know you must be hurting. Your family is wonderful and your thankfulness is is inspiring. Happy Thanksgiving!
You and your Dad are in my prayers!!! Keep us posted on his progress!!!
You are one blessed young lady and i loved all your flashback photos!!! Beautiful!
hugs,Leslie
I am so sorry about your dad. I will be praying for him and you!!
Hey, love. I LOVE YOU! (I don't have anything to say except that I'm thankful for you too.)
Hi Violet,
Thanks for dropping by my blog. I absolutely love your post on what you are thankful for! Beautiful!
I am sorry to hear of your father's cancer - although glad to hear he's under a doctor's care already. My father avoided doctors too much. By the time he found out about the cancer he had, it was too late to do anything but give him radiation to ease the pain. (at least that worked wonders!). You father has my prayers of strength and good health. You have them for strength. One way my father was able to put on some weight when he was feeling ill was to drink Ensure (liquid diet) and eat high-calorie baby foods (like fruits and other desserts). Bless you! (((((hugs!)))))
Post a Comment